It all starts with self-examination.
In the vein of “just might be a redneck” humor, consider the following if you are currently an engineer / software developer examining your career path:
- If you don’t aspire to be the “best developer” or engineer on your team
- If you don’t like the idea of dozens of annual reviews and managing a group of engineers
- If you actually do feel like you have a little “sales” DNA in you
- If you actually do like speaking to end users and / or buyers of software
- If you find you do like writing, presenting, even the occasional spreadsheet
2 or less out of 5: forget it. Engineering may be your calling (even if you’re mediocre) or you have more soul-searching to do.
3 or 4 out of 5: Hmm… tell me about Sales Engineer jobs again?
5 out of 5: You just… might … be a Product Manager (or Product Marketing Manager)